Honest opinion, 4 hours into this game is not enough to have this many complaints.
1. The reason something is grayed out is because you haven't learned it yet, explore the map to find new ores to build more.
2. Its a factory building game not a chainsaw game.
3. This is a first person game that is the way it is, you also get access to things like a lookout tower, and a jet pack later in the game to help you with aerial views
4.The game is in early access and thus does not even have a story line in it so there may be more in depth tutorial for the people that have never played a game like this but this game drops you on a unknown planet to gather and build up a factory, who is going to tell you about the wildlife if its an unknown unexplored planet?
5. slow down, learn the items.
6. explore the map a bit to learn which items around the map are destroy-able and which are not, if something is in red and you try to build it there is a message the pops up to tell you why you cant build.
Trust me when your building and moving 20k+ items around the map you will not want a -200% build speed.
explore and have fun :)
this isn't meant to be negative I just thing you haven't played much of the game and need to explore more of it.