So, i built up a base and the performance got worse over time. At first I thought, well that's just how it is, the game isn't all that well optimized. But it got to the point where I basically can't play anymore while the machines are connected to power. The FPS drop below 10, and don't go above ~17, no matter if I'm close to or looking at the factory, just all the time. With power being disconnected, I reach about 45 FPS.
That's when I tried checking out THIS save file from a guy on Reddit, who has built a significantly larger factory, with definitely more conveyor belts and approximately the same power usage (~5000MW, after I emptied a few containers to force the production of new items). However, on that save file I get around 45 FPS with machines and conveyor belts running, and even while looking at tons of belts it doesn't drop below 20.
HERE is my save file, if you want to test it for yourself and tell me if your performance on there is just as bad.
Do you have any suggestions what could be the reason for such low FPS? It seems to me like the CPU is bottlenecking, since it doesn't change whether stuff is on screen or not, but why is the performance on the other file so much better?
A few bits of information that might or might not be important:
- The lowest level of the factory has a lot of "spaghetti" conveyor belts.
- There's still a "ruin" of an old factory left in the grass fields in the south, which isn't connected to power anymore.
- I'm playing with 2 friends and we share the save file online, so sometimes different people are hosting the session with the save file.
- My friend with a brand new PC doesn't get above ~20 FPS either.
- It already was this bad before the "Nuclear & Trains" Update.
- i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
- Geforce GTX 1060
- 16GB RAM